Lyadova’s Holy Beheading rock monastery - Lyadova

Lyadova’s monastery is among the oldest in Ukraine. According to the legend, it was founded in 1013 by St. Anthony Pechersky (the founder of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra and also known as the "first Russian monk"). The monastery was founded in the path of the monk of Mount Athos to Kiev; it’s still preserved the church and the founder’s cell. Also there is the source of holy water.

It is worth noting that this is the first cave monastery, founded by Anthony of the Caves. In addition, it was the first Orthodox church in the region, perhaps that fact played a role in its importance to the story. The abbot of the monastery Paul and hieromonk Nicephorus became the first ambassadors of Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky to the Moscow Tsar Alex in 1649. In addition, to the middle of the XVIII century in the monastery acted Lyadova’s Basilian monastery, and in the XIX century was built cave church of the Beheading of St. John the Baptist, the bell tower and the church of St. Paraskeva-Friday. Interestingly, in these years a hotel appeared on the surface of monastery.

The Soviet authorities stamped on the many holy places, and Lyadova’s monastery is not an exception. Part of the building was blown up. Restoration of the monastery (alas, not all) ended only in the 1998. The temple is open to the public, but with the condition of compliance of traditional dress-code: men must wear long trousers, and women must wear long skirts and headscarves.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Other interesting places

Museum of National Decorative Art –c.Kanev

In the centre of an old part of Kanev, near Uspensky cathedral (the monument of architecture of ХІІ century) there is a building - Baziliansky school (the ...


Stadium "Donbass Arena" — Donetsk

"Donbass Arena" is one of the largest projects in Ukraine embodied in life. The stadium was built for the European Football Championship in 2012. It meets ...


Dominican Cathedral - Rivne

Necessity of new stone cathedral building in Rivne arose after the fire in 1881, which destroyed the old wooden church, having existed about hundred years....


Read also