Epiphany Church - c.Ostrog

The church was erected in 14 century. It is located near the northern border of the castle court yard. In the beginning of XVI at strengthening of defensive works of the castle, the northern wall of the church was adapted to the defense, for wall increase in almost twice there were constructed buttress from northern and western wall of the temple. The four firing grounds, intended for fire-arms were located in the northern bottom part of the temple. Over the firing grounds there are framed stone Gothic windows which were used for bombardment in case of danger. Over the window there are superscriptions in which the date of temple reconstruction was indicated - 1521. In the end of XIX century the temple ruins were carefully studied. On the photo of 1880th years it is possible to see as bricked up intervals between a brick teeth which protected a fighting way.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Other interesting places

Monument to mammoth - Kulishivka

This interesting monument was installed in 1841 and it is the first monument to a mammoth in the world. The monument was erected in honor of the event of 1...


Maritime Museum "Chayka" - Fr. Khortytsya

Today, the museum “Chayka” (Eng. "Seagull") has no formal status, but organizers plan to create a museum out of it Dnieper flotilla – museum of the Cossack...


Monument to Kalnyshevsky - Pustovoytovka

Peter Kalnyshevsky was the last ataman of Zaporizhzhia Sich. The first monument to the last Zaporozhzhia chieftain was installed in his native village in 1...


Read also