Monument to Adam Mickiewicz - Lviv

Monument to Adam Mitskevichku or Column of Adam Mickiewicz is a symbol of Lviv, located in the heart of the city on the square bearing the name of the poet.

Figure emblematic historical figure is 3.3 meters, the total height of the monument is 21 meters. Polish diaspora wanted to erect a monument in Lviv after the poet's death, but the decision for a long time to brake. About monument began to talk in earnest after the formation of the cult of Adam Mickiewicz as a national Polish genius. 28 projects took part in the competition for a monument to the agent of national-liberation movement in Poland, announced December 10, 1898 for the 100th anniversary of the birth of Adam Mickiewicz. Due to the originality (the presence of the column) won the project of Anton Popel. The final draft of Adam Mickiewicz depicted with throw the right hand, which is close to the angel with lyre. The column is made of Milan granite; sculptures of angel and Mickiewicz covered with greenish platinum. The monument was erected in 1904 and opened on October 30.

Originally, the monument had to be in other place, but during the excavation to install the pedestal was found underground water, preventing the construction, and now a monument is in the center of the area (not on the edge). Because local inhabitants were afraid of further flood of the river Poltava, they brought here tons of sand and for some time that Mickiewicz Square (formerly Mariyskaya or Maryatskaya Square) wore the nickname "Lviv Sahara".

After the construction the monument was the dominant of area, overlooking the three-story buildings in eclectic style. However, in 1909 at the junction of Copernicus street and the Mickiewicz Area appeared the monumental building, which became the "competitor" of the monument; and then, in 1921, there was a house of Sprecher – Lviv’s first "skyscraper".
blog comments powered by Disqus

Other interesting places

Uspensky Church - v.Krylos

This church was founded in 16 century, in Renaissance style. It was built from materials of Uspensky cathedral, destroyed by Tatars in 1241. After destruct...


Monastery of Starobelsk - Starobelsk

Noble Angelina Bulich organized a shelter for orphaned girls in 1849, and on its basis appeared the Holy Mourn convent of Starobelsk. In 1862, the women's ...


The Tomb of Chasidism Founder Baal-Shem-Tov - v.Medzhybozh

Medzhybozh - is the native land of Chasidism, there in 1740 the travelling religious philosopher Israel Besht (Baal Shem Tov) lodged, he died in 1760. His ...


Read also