Latin Cathedral - Lviv
In 1404, Master Nicholas Ganseke (Gonzaga) blocked the altar of the dome. Finished cathedral architect Joachim Thunder and Ambrose Rabish.
Arch and two side chapels of the choir built in 1493 by Hans Bleher.
Cathedral nave, with an elongated presbytery. The bulk (with no altar and later additions) was close to the square. Adjacent to the western facade of the massive high tower, and the second, southern, the tower completed only up to roof level.
Severe form of the Cathedral and the majestic. Special impression gives the interior with four tall, slender columns, which are based on the arches and vaults with Gothic ribs. Naves of the same height.
After the restoration of 1760-1778 years. Gothic forms of the cathedral gave way before the fashion at the time, baroque. Council modifies not only externally, changes were made to the interior.
A talented architect of Lviv Peter Poleyovsky prepared a restoration project and managed the construction work. The church tower was ended with baroque style, to the apse of the two sides were attached two-story space, to the western facade is a porch, and Gothic and Renaissance altars replaced with the Baroque.
Sculptures of new altars done by M. Poleyovsky, I. Obrotsky, Francis Olendzky. Fresco paintings on the vaults and walls belong Lviv muralist S. Stroinski. During restoration dismantled numerous chapels that are "overgrown" church during XV-XVIII centuries. Only the most valuable left.
At the end of XIX century by J. Matejko, Y. Megoffer, T. Aksentovicha were made stained glass windows, which are organically complement the interior of the cathedral.
Other interesting places
The western Ukraine is rich in historical places, constructions and castles. The castle in Zbarazh is by right considered as one of the most interesting c...
Zhytomyr regional hisrotical-museum of local lore - is one of the oldest museum establishments of Ukraine. The history of museum creation originates in the...
Church of the Resurrection is located in the center of Sumy and is the oldest stone structure of the city. The church stands on a small hill in the descent...