In the competition for the right to embody the image of the poet attended by 21. The winning design by Anton Popel Sulima. The opening of the monument to 30 October 1904 was of great national cultural importance.
According to legend, the hero of the people Ustim Karmelyuk was hiding in the two-tier grotto, pursued by the royal troops, so the caves are named after him. Meanwhile, in the early Slavic times there was a pagan sanctuary where then appeared Orthodox monastery. In 1708, Podillya judge Peplovsky organized in a cave Basilian Greek-Catholic Church: the upper level was dedicated to the Nativity of St. John the Baptist, and the bottom was consecrated to Holy Onufiy. In addition, in those years, over the master’s cave built a small waterfall. After 102 years the monastery was closed, and in the XX century, the Soviet authorities destroyed a small church, which remained on the second floor.